Thursday, November 24, 2011

Things I Learned When Buying Furnitures and Appliances


After having lived for almost 6 years in different dormitories and bedspaces, I found myself looking for furnitures and appliances for the bare apartment that I have recently moved into.

I first made the common mistake that other newbies make when canvassing for appliances and furnitures--that is to search in malls. Sure, malls like SM, Shopwise, and other popular shopping venues are very conducive and accessible but when it comes to product pricing and payment terms, I've come to realize soon enough that there are other better alternatives out there.

I tried online purchases through Alibaba, Sulit.com and OLX. I looked through new and second-hand furniture but I wasn't really satisfied with items posted. Pictures cannot compare with actual appraisal so I cannot really conclude if it would be a good bargain once I purchase it.

Furnitures and appliances such as dining set, sala set,refrigerators and the like entail a sufficient amount of purchasing power.

But as much as possible, I wanted to avoid paying in credit card. So it was such a great news to me when I heard about the cash installment terms of K-Servico and Emilio S. Lim Appliance stores. When I checked out an ES Lim Branch in Marikina, I was surprised how low the prices were compared to malls (and I've checked a lot of them).


A Panasonic Ref that costs around 12K-14k in Ace Hardware and SM was priced just around 10K in ES Lim. They currently even had this 'No Cash Out' Promo upon your cash installment application. My boyfriend even had to literally stop me from making an impulse purchase on that item.Not that I would regret it of course.

I also realized that small/medium stores that are located outside malls and commercial areas offer good bargains. Following the advice of my BF's officemate, we went to Bayan, Marikina to look around for those Mom and Pop stores.

Sure enough we found one that was still open during Sundays. The entrance to Blooming Furniture was nondescript. There were piles of furniture on top of the other but having been used to looking at different furnitures at various places, I've realized that I found some diamonds in the rough.



I've personally talked to the proprietress Ms. Pearly and she told me about the prices of some dining tables that I've inquired about. The 4 seater dark formica dining set was offered to me for 4k. Judging by the quality, I would say that this item would fetch for twice the price at the mall.

So I made a downpayment of 2K on that day, and the remaining balance plus P150 delivery charge would be paid upon delivery of the item to the apartment. It was a sweet bargain that I didn't mind the heavy downpour when we got back to the apartment.

2 comments:

  1. You would really need to go and search for more sources to find a piece which is right for your needs. Same goes in finding a house. You need to compare prices and specifications for you to come up with a better decision.

    Patrick Tan

    ReplyDelete