Thursday, July 28, 2011

In Pursuit of the Davao Real Chocolate

This is the book that started my journey to finding real chocolate.

I have always liked chocolate.

But my affection reached to a whole new level during my frequent visits in Xocolat. In that restaurant, I began to read a book by Chloe Doutre-Roussel ,'The Chocolate Connoisseur: For Everyone With A Passion For Chocolate'.

I learned that the prevalent types of chocolate that you see in supermarkets aren't what serious chocolate lovers consider as real chocolate. I'm talking about those Cloud 9 bars, Snickers, Dove and even some of those expensive chocolate bars.Those are just sweetened confectioners that are comprised of vegetable oil,cocoa powder plus additives and sugar.
Real chocolate among connoisseurs are chocolate bars that contain more than 65% Cacao. The only ingredients in a good Chocolate bar are: CACAO PASTE, sugar, COCOA BUTTER, lecithin, and vanilla.

Of course, it does not necessarily mean that having a higher percentage of cocoa can guarantee better taste. Just like coffee, the variety of beans,ingredients, as well as the process in making the chocolate plays a major role on the outcome of the product.

But nevertheless, I've been buying 70% to 80% chocolates left and right, as long as my budget allows me to. These prices range from P100 to P200. I've tried 70% chocolate from Lindt and found it more favorable compared to the 70% bars that I've bought from Marks and Spencer.
I'll cherish the days that I'll eat you; one square at time.
Recently, I've found out that Davao exports good quality cacao that can generate commendable chocolate. The Askinosie 77% Davao Chocolate was met with good reviews. Although I have always wanted to purchase one, I realized that it would be tad expensive and impractical to go through the shipping and ordering for just one chocolate bar.

Then I came upon Theo&Philo Artisan Chocolates website and found out that they use cocoa from Davao and sugar from Bacolod in making their chocolates. Since they sell their products in accessible areas in Manila such as Shangri-la Edsa & Makati, Echo store in Serendra and Podium, I was able to buy from one of their stores.
The contents were devoured 15min after purchase :D
Their products range from the familiar 70% Dark Chocolate & Milk Chocolate down to the unusual flavors such as Labuyo,Ginger,Green Mango & Salt (I'm not kidding on this one).I initially bought the 70% Dark Chocolate for P95.The Davao chocolate was different than the other dark chocolates that I have tried. The taste was earthy but not too bitter.

I promised myself to try other products of Theo & Philo in the near future. It was encouraging for me that not only did we showcase Davao cocoa, we also have a Filipino company who love chocolate enough to produce "The Only Bean to Bar Chocolate From the Philippines”.

No comments:

Post a Comment